Been a good year so far and these are my personal faves to date – and now revised a little since June!
- BIG BIG TRAIN Folklore – more excellent folk/prog from BBT.
- FROST* Falling Satellites – classy progressive music with a distinctive pop edge.
- DAN REED NETWORK Fight Another Day – excellent return and good mix of their classic sound and some more modern twists.
- CHEAP TRICK Boom Zoom Crazy…Hello – they are back and as good as ever. Possibly their best album since their mid-80’s heyday.
- INGLORIOUS – very assured debut album, hard rocking blues. Nathan James has a heck of powerful vocal.
- TOSELAND Cradle the Rage –his vocal is slightly weird, damn fine tunes though.
- THE DOWLING POOLE One Hyde Park – quintessential quirky pop rock. Superb stuff.
- EVERGREY The Storm Within – they keep on producing wonderful music and they have done it again!
- SABATON The Last Stand – heard of them but my first real listen to them and loving theitr OTT power metal sounds.
- MAGNUM Sacred Blood, Divine Lies – the most rounded musically of recent Magnum albums and enjoying this one a lot.
- ALBANY DOWN Low – Another assured debut album and a classy mix of 70’s rock and melodic rock.
- TAX THE HEAT Fed to the Lions – saw them supporting Kansas and was impressed then. Strong debut album, blue, rock, modern rock – just grab a listen.
- HOUSE OF SHAKIRA Sour Grapes – easily their best album since the classic ‘Lint’ album.
- THE DARKER MY HORIZON No Superhero – album number 2 and another positive step forward by the band. Catchy and good quality modern hard rock.
- LEFT WITH PICTURES After Life – chamber pop is the musical handle of this talented combo. Classical arrangements, moving lyrics and singing, what’s not to like?
Just missing the top choices are Circus Maximus, Blues Pills (have a listen just for the vocals) and the Temperance Movement (it is good just not a patch on the debut for me).